Sacred Passage: End of Life Doula Certificate
This End of Life Doula Certificate is a 2 phase 8 day onsite program for front line clinicians, clinical leaders, educators, home and family caregivers, healing arts professionals, volunteers, and anyone interested in exploring their own life and death. The Certificate offers 66 nursing CNEs and a Best Three Months: End of Life Coaching and Care Practicum between phase 1 and 2.
Program Dates in 2017/2018:
Applying is easy. Click here to open our on-line application, fill in the blanks and you're done. We'll be in touch with you shortly thereafter.
Who is it for?
Anyone wishing to know more about their own life and death and or who wishes to serve others facing death.
- Frontline staff, nurses, clinicians, healing arts professionals, home and family caregivers, or anyone wishing to serve at the end of life, including those interested in exploring their own mortality and desiring to deepen their present moment awareness and full experience of life.
Types of people attending:
- Para and Legal Professionals; Massage Therapists and Healing Arts Practitioners; Physicians, Nurses, PAs, NPs, PTs, Hospice and Palliative Care Professionals; Directors of Nursing Education; Nursing Students; Children and Families facing death or loss of loved ones; Directors, Staff, Activities Directors, Residentsof Senior Care Communities; Psychologists, Chaplains, LSWs; and anyone wishing to learn more about their own death and serving others at end of life.
- Supportive coursework for yoga students, teachers and teacher trainings
- Continuing education for caregivers, therapists, and nurses, hospice volunteers
- Community Organizations, and Faith Based groups
Kaiser Permanente Volunteer
Kaiser Sacramento Medical Center
2025 Morse Ave.
Sacramento, California 95825
"I completed three program trips to Boulder in 2013 and 2014 and found that it was worth every minute of my time and expense.
The results from my participation in this cutting-edge program continues to manifest in my life and in my volunteering,in ways that I did not expect. I felt transformed and am making decisions that allow me to live more fully. I believe that when the health caregiver is transformed, patients and families are transformed. I learned many things from the Conscious Dying principles,exercises, meditations, active listening, openly sharing in a safe environment, and deep learning from experienced leaders in the areas of dying/death, music, meditations, artistic expression, healing modalities in more expansive ways.
I wish to see more health caregivers participate in the Conscious Dying Institute Programs as I see that it will result in their own transformation. I envision patients/families will make more informed decisions related to end-of-life care. I envision more patients will have Advanced Directives and participate in palliative care.They will understand the dying/death process and express their wishes. This will increase HCAP scores because they feel Kaiser supports them. It will also cost less for the patient and KP."
Refund / Cancellation Policy:
If for any reason you need to cancel your attendance for this event, we will happily reschedule for another program within 12 months.
What is a Sacred Passage Doula?
End of Life Doulas are frontline caregivers who offer healing vs.curative care to families and patients during critical illness and the dying process.
They work individually or in teams, being available around the clock, filling the gaps care before, nearing and during death. The compassionate presence of an End of Life Doula increases quality life moments of the families and patients they serve. Their presence at bedside assures that families and loved ones can focus on what is most important throughout the dying time.
The Sacred Passage Doula Certificate Program prepares caregivers from all disciplines and care settings to befriend death, surrender and trust deeply in each moment and restore death to its sacred place in the beauty, mystery and celebration of life. It builds communities of care and healing, benefiting all those involved in care at end of life.
Conscious Dying Education's result is transformational for everyone. It changes end of life care by transforming caregivers, preparing caregivers to be authentically present, communicate with vulnerability, honesty, and compassion and give comforting healing vs curative (medical, technical) care to anyone, regardless of health status.
Unique Benefits and Outcomes of Sacred Passage: End of Life Doula Certificate
Our Sacred Passage:End of Life Doula Certificate is a highly accessible, onsite End-of-Life Education program for nurses, physicians, clinicians, caregivers, family members, and anyone interested in exploring what it means to die consciously. This high transformative programprepares caregivers across all settings to be authentically present, communicate with vulnerability, honesty, and compassion and offer palliative comfort care healing modalities to anyone, regardless of health status, by focusing on improving care at end of life.
- Curative care to healing care
- Physical exhaustion to vitality
- Challenging topics into confident, compassionately supported conversations
- Unexpressed wishes to beauty-filled visions and Best Life Care plans
- Unexpressed feelings into life satisfaction and completion
Graduates will be able to implement the Conscious Dying Principles and Practices :
- Increase beauty, pleasure, contentment
- Provide emotional and spiritual support
- Initiate conversations about the dying process
- How and when to practice self care to reduce burnout and emotional fatigue
- Demystify the stages of the dying process
- Acknowledge mysteries, miracles, and unexplained events
- Learn how to be with intense emotions, in self and others
- How to honor other’s beliefs without them threatening your own
- Be a Steward of a conscious death
- Attend at bedside so that no one dies alone
A Two Phase on-site Tranformative course
This is a two phase program including Best Three Months: End of Life Coaching and Care Practicum between phase 1 and phase 2 leading to the Sacred Passage: End of Life Doula Certificate. It offers 66 Continuing Nursing Education (CNE's). Phases are not offered separately from the full Certificate program.
During the 2 phases , our program participants discover their true desires for living and dying, develop “Best Three Months of Life” Priorities and care plans in 5 Domains of Life, and receive and learn to administer caring healing modalities to all involved at end of life.
We expand beyond expertise in clinical practices to offer comforting care people want and need most. We develop our ground of being and internal caring healing capacity to navigate vulnerable transitions and enter the healing, transformational portals surrounding the death.
We practice supporting others to have conscious lives through death and become curious about what a conscious loving death might be. We learn to talk about death with a bold courageous heart providing a loving, trusting, caring healing environment in which everyone involved in end of life care can thrive in this last great sacred passage.
Phase 1: Preparing: Self as Healing Environment.
"Conscious Dying Practices for Awakening NOW" are implemented to produce transformational education focused on inner awakening of caregiver. Phase 1 develops:
- Self care and nurturance
- Restores Authentic Healing Gifts and Purpose
- Increases Awareness of Ending of Life Desires, Beliefs, and Wishes
- Conscious Connection
- Confident Communication
- Comforting Care
Best Three Months Practicum
- Between Phase 1 and Two: Best 3 Months: End of Life Coaching and Care Faculty Mentored Practicum in which Students develop Best Three Months of life Care and Priorities in the five Domains of life. They work together on their own care plan and devleop a care plan for 2 other people in their community.
Phase 2: Best Life Care: 5 Domain Healing Modality Training
Through live music, restorative and releasing “practices for death”, visioning for Best Three Months of Life, community and individual grief and forgiveness rituals, participants heal their own sense of separation and isolation from life. Faith in life is renewed, loving relationships restored, and the experience of the transformative healing potential of death is grounded and embodied in each graduate.
- Best Life Care: Comfort Healing Modalities - uses 5 domains of life healing modality education and care program including expert presenters in: Spiritual, Emotional, Physical, Life Purpose & Review , and After Death Rituals and Care
- Spiritual Awareness
- Emotional Completion
- Physical Comfort
- Life Review
- Practical After Death Care
- Creating Ceremony & Ritual, Community Building, Buisness Development
- Doula Practice Business Development
- Strategic Visioning for Doula Practice
- Peer Mentoring and Coaching
- Access to Conscious Dying Institute Branding and Marketing materials
- Listing on End of Life Doula Directory
What Makes us Unique?
The Program utilizes Conscious Dying Education principles, practices and a sacred healing care philosophy. The course is an intensive, highly interactive, community building model that establishes deeper access to our authentic caring healing presence, deeper relationship to source, self and others where we expand beyond our own personal fear and beliefs about life and death.
We utilize media rich emotionally and spiritually evocative content from leaders-old and new, in care for the dying. The programs integrates evidence based, caring healing practices from the work of Dr. Jean Watson's Caring Science Theory, using the Unitary World View and 10 Caritas Process side by side with Conscious Dying Principles and Practices. The combination of a variety of teaching/learning styles effectively brings personal healing and transformation to caring professionals so that their personal healing experience informs their care for others.
- Media Rich/Healing Intensive/Expert Presenter Learning Environment
- Multiple levels of learning and interaction at all times
- Use of materials from the work of Elizabeth Kubler-ross, Dr. Jean Watson, Frank Osteski, Gary Malkin and Michael Stillwater, "Graceful Passages", "Care for the Journey"
- Film, movies, Ted talks